Everyone is confronted to a greater or lesser extent with the challenges of life and work. This may involve a single serious event, but also a combination of factors. One’s own behaviour – the way in which the employee deals with the given situation – can then influence the employee’s health, employability and productivity.
If there are psychosocial issues that negatively influence the performance of work, the employability coach is deployed from an integral human perspective to coach employees and/or managers. Think about employees who are absent (gatekeeper improvement act), a preventive intervention in the framework of personal development or coaching about employability issues of managers.
Awareness and new behaviour
Before one can work towards a solution, it is essential that the employee is aware of his own situation. Therefore, during the interview all domains of the Employability scan are covered. Next, it is discussed how the employee has acted up to now in the given situation and whether this has led to the desired result. This activates the employee’s awareness of the relationship between limiting factors, his behaviour and the situation that has arisen. In this phase, the employee is also included in the dual responsibility of employee and employer to achieve a healthy working relationship and sustainable employability.
The employability coach is independent and unprejudiced in this process. This means that the employee develops his own insights and learns that he can choose to deal with the situation differently. As soon as the employee is aware of his situation, new effective behaviour is looked at. Managing his own health and employability is central to this process.
The employability coaching comprises:
- A coaching session consisting of:
- A discussion of the results of the Employability Scan and an in-depth interview with the employee on the areas in which attention was found.
- Specific tips and tools to take and keep control of health and employability.
- Feedback to the employee with a summary of the interview. This feedback includes desired interventions that match the needs of the employee with the aim of sustainable employability, absenteeism management and improved labour productivity.
- If a company doctor is involved, he/she will receive the same feedback (with the employee’s agreement).
Example situations for the deployment of the employability scan are:
- The employee is also a carer and cannot combine the care task with his/her own work.
- The company (the context) is changing or has changed, but the employee cannot/will not change with it.
- The employee experiences a too high (or too low) workload.
- The employee is experiencing private problems such as debts/divorce, which makes it difficult for him/her to do his/her job well.
- The manager is experiencing a conflict with an employee or colleague(s).
- The manager wants to effectively support an employee who has difficulty setting boundaries.
- The employee and manager are looking for ways to improve the employability of the employee.
Would you like more information or advice without obligation? Call us at +31 (0) 88 – 286 60 55 or fill in the contact form.